Monday, November 27, 2006

The World of Coca-Cola

Do you like Coke? My fav is Diet Coke Lime. Its ze best. I visited the World of Coke which happens to be half a stone's throw away from where I live. It's so weird that people normally travel far and wide to visit new places but they prolly haven't been to 1/2 of the attractions around them. Sometimes, we're so busy searching and looking for something or someone special when in fact, it/they might be so close to us. I'm I right? No? Anyways, here are some facts about Coke which surprised me.

1) It was invented in 1886 by Dr. Pemberton, who sold it to a Jacobs Pharmacy. Yes, a pharmacy! They served their customers to satisfy their thirst.

2) Back then, they were selling for 5 cents a glass. And it maintained at that price for 70 years. Was inflation even coined?

3) They had Cherry, Strawberry and Vanilla flavors even in those days.

4) Coke is distributed not in the form you get at the counter but in a syrup form and they were transported in red barrels with a Coca-cola signature.

5) There were Coke pirates even in those days and the only one I can remember was Koka-Kola. LOL. So I guess DVD peddlers in the night markets are steep in history.

6) The contour of the bottle was invented to differentiate the original Coke from the pirates.

Basically that's about it. Oh yeah, they have this place in the building where soft drinks from all over the world are served. They have drinks from Timbuktu all the way to Israel. It was a good experience to say the least. But I was a lil' disappointed that they didn't have Kickapoo.

Here are the other ppl i went with. BT, Ding and Soo Chern.

Chao

No comments: